Sweet meets Spooky
The night of fright is here and before you head out to that ghoulish party at a local watering hole or at a friend’s place, we thought we’d let you in on some Halloween Treat Trivia!
• According to The National Confectioners Association, 80 percent of adults in America give out candy to trick-or-treaters, and 93 percent of children go trick-or-treating.
• Apparently, each state of the U.S. has its own favourite candy. So while candy corn is Alabama’s top pick, Alaskans love Twix!
• World War II caused sugar rationing, which stalled trick-or-treating for a number of years.
• Since its invention in 1898 by the Herman Goelitz Confectionary Company of Fairfield, California (now known as the Jelly Belly Candy Company), candy corn has been wildly popular—so much so that today, nearly 35 million pounds of candy corn are produced each year.
• Valentine’s Day is no longer the sweetest national holiday in the U.S.—at least when it comes to candy sales. More than twice as much chocolate is sold for Halloween. 90 million pounds of chocolate are sold during Halloween week alone. In total, $1.9 billion is spent on Halloween candy each year.
And now that we’ve spoken about candy, how could we not ask you to stop by and savour our Halloween Specials today? There’s the Clown Cake that takes the cake! But we also love the gooey Eyeball Entremets!
Happy Halloween, ya’ll!